jeudi 14 janvier 2016

phone expressions

Making Phone Calls

Introducing yourself

  • Good morning/afternoon/evening.  This is Mike at (company name)/Mike from (department name).  Could I speak to (person you’re calling for)?  [If you are calling to speak to a specific person]
  • Good morning/afternoon/evening.  This is Mike at (company name)/Mike from (department name). I’m calling about/because…. [If you are calling for a specific reason but not to talk to a specific person]

When the person you want to speak to is unavailable

  • Can I leave a message for him/her?
  • Could you tell him/her that I called, please?
  • Could you ask him/her to call me back, please?
  • Okay, thanks.  I’ll call back later.

Dealing with bad connections

  • I think we have a bad connection.  Can I call you back?
  • I’m sorry, we have a bad connection.  Could you speak a little louder, please?
  • I’m sorry, could you repeat that please?

Ending the call

  • Thank you very much.  Have a good day.
  • Thanks for your help.  Have a good day.
     

Receiving Phone Calls

Answering the phone

  • Company ABC, this is Mike.  How may I help you?
  • Good morning/afternoon, Company ABC.  How may I help you?
  • Purchasing department, Frank speaking.   
    Note:  If we are taking an external call and talking to a customer, “How may I help you?” is common.  If we are taking an internal call, we normally do not say “How may I help you?” For internal calls, saying your name and your department is usually sufficient.

Getting the name of the caller if he/she doesn’t give it to you

  • May I have your name please? 
  • Who am I speaking with? 
  • May I ask who’s calling?

Responding to a caller’s request

  • Sure, let me check on that.
  • Let me see if she’s available.  
  • Sure, one moment please. 

Asking someone to wait on the line

  • Can I put you on hold for a minute?
  • Do you mind holding while I check on that (or “handle that for you,” “check to see if he’s available,” etc)

Taking a message

  • He’s/she’s not available at the moment.  Would you like to leave a message?
  • He’s/she’s out of the office right now.  Can I take a message?

 Dealing with bad connections/wrong numbers

  • I’m sorry, we have a bad connection.  Could you give me your number and I’ll call you right back?
  • I think we have a bad connection.  Could you speak a little louder, please?
  • I’m sorry, could you repeat that? 
  • I’m sorry, you have the wrong number.

Ending the call

  • Is there anything else I can help you with?……Okay, thanks for calling.  Have a great day.  [used during external calls with customers]
  • Is there anything else I can do for you? …..Okay, have a good day. [more casual, used more for internal phone calls or phone calls that are not customer service calls]

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire